Thursday, June 6, 2013

System Selling - Networking

         A few weeks back I was at a networking event, in which a lot of pleasant professional folks that understand the concept of networking were present. Towards the end of the event a young man approached me and aggressively introduced himself. He immediately began talking about himself for about ten or twelve minutes, while failing to inquire my name or what I did for a living. I’m sure my face was a bit flushed by this point. Afterwards he then asked for my business card, I told him that I preferred to not exchange cards. I asked him if he knew who I was or what I did for a living; he sheepishly said he did not. I took a couple of minutes to share with him that what he was doing was severe presenting, which highly annoys people. I could see that when he walked away he was a bit red faced, but I was hoping a valuable lesson was taking place at that moment. When networking, encourage the other person to interface with you. If you discover a possible connection, set up a time to meet and find more out about your respective businesses and how you may complement each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment